Thursday, August 23, 2012

American Legion Convention 2012 - Day 1

I'm not sure if they are already regretting their decision but, thanks to Mark Seavey, the American Legion invited me to be their guest at their annual convention this year.

I woke up bright and an hour and 20 minutes late this morning but made it to the airport in time to make my flight.  It was a GREAT day to fly.  Clear skies.  No turbulence.  Half full flight with lots of room to spread out.  And the absolute BEST flight attendant I've had in years.

Kelli Burdsall was kind enough to pick me up at the airport and drop me off at my hotel.  Well, I thought it was.  I mean, how many Marriott hotels can their be within a few blocks in one downtown area?  A short walk later and I was at the correct Marriott.  Checked in early.  Unpacked.  Grabbed a cab to the American Legion World HQ to get a tour of Seavey's office.

Seavey had warned me over the phone that he was not in the best of moods today then inquired if I was in a bad mood, too.  Uh, no sir.  Thrilled to be here.  Let's get this party started.

As the elevator doors opened on the second floor of the American Legion HQ building Seavey was standing there with arms open to hug me.  For those of you who know Seavey that was, um, well, I had to check to see if the person ASKING for a hug was Seavey or an impostor.  Turns out it was him and he actually hugged me.  Probably the only one I'll get this week but I'll take it.

After a short stroll down the hallway we entered Valhalla.  I had goose bumps.  So this cave like area is where all of the Seavey, CV, TSO, Mark work occurs.  I asked him if I could take a picture of him appearing to work.  Here ya go:

Seavey at work with his aero garden in forefront
 
Mr. Grumpy changed into his Tevos, called his lovely wife and out the door we went to meet her at Scotty's Brew house.  It is an absolutely gorgeous day here so we chose to sit outside.  GREAT choice.
 
Before long we were joined by Caroline and three awesome guys (John, Carlos and Steven).  A few beers (or several), a couple of glasses of wine, appetizers, etc were enjoyed along with copious amounts of GREAT conversation between the four Veterans, Caroline and me.  Just could not have been a more enjoyable time.
 
Left to right - Carlos, Steven, John, Mark and Caroline
 
I'm really looking forward to the days ahead and could not be more grateful to the American Legion for inviting me to be a part of their convention this year.

Tomorrow is a fairly slow day.  Not really sure what is scheduled for Saturday BUT...Sunday is the awesome parade.  Seavey has arranged for front row (street side) seating.  Caroline bought a pop up tent cover and lawn chairs for us today.  I feel like a Queen.

Stay tuned for more updates in the coming days.

No comments: